Galleria Quadrante Firenze 1961 - 1964
20 December 2002 - 1 March 2003
This is the first major exhibition dedicated to the work of the Galleria Quadrante. The gallery was born in 1959 as a studio for contemporary art, organised by Matilde Giorgini around the Equipe di Quadrante group, which brought together Vinicio Berti, Silvio Loffredo, Gualtiero Nativi, Leonardo Ricci, Antonio Bueno, Alberto Moretti, Venturino Venturi and the young critic Alberto Busignani. It opened as a gallery in June 1961, in a space at Florence’s number 18 Lungarno Acciaioli. This was a space designed by Vittorio Giorgini, and represented one of the first examples of “informal” architecture in Italy. From then on, il Quadrante began to publish a newsletter, which was made up solely of the catalogues from their exhibitions. The writers were the most important critics of the time (Umbro Apollonio, Francesco Arcangeli, Giulio Carlo Argan, André Bloc, Palma Bucarelli, Maurizio Calvesi, Giovanni Carandente, Luigi Carluccio, Gillo Dorfless, Michelangelo Masciotta, Ermanno Migliorini, Agnoldomenico Pica, Nello Ponente, Pierre Restany, Franco Russoli, Edoardo Sanguineti, Michel Tapié, Marco Valsecchi, Emilio Villa, Lara Vinca Masini, Marisa Volpi, etc.).